Friday, August 14, 2020

On Time

    I was in the process of writing a post based on a prompt I read from Poets&Writers magazine. The prompt was to create a nonfiction document that covered key events over the past twelve months. Out of fear of divulging too much of my personal history with a public audience, I deviated from the topic and began an analogy between physical and personal growth. That post remained imcomplete and I subsequently deleted it to write this one. My goal is to now complete this current post in one sitting.

    One concept I have grappled with is time. Therefore I will write about it in this post. I gained my inspiration from a sermon I heard today on the very topic. Between the magazine's writing prompt, today's sermon, and the month-long blog post that got deleted, I decided that I have found an opportunity to address this issue directly in this post.

    There are two main things I have learned about time: the concept of it is relative and the reality of it can only be measured. Time as a concept is relative to one's own experiences and present reality. A person's awareness of this concept does not verify its reality. Time moves regardless of whether it is acknowledged. However, one's awareness of time shapes one's relationship with time. I believe that how one perceives time also ultimately shapes how one chooses to go about life's other decisions. This may be debatable, for there are circumstances that do not always stem from personal choice. However, the decision to make an act on a choice is also a by-product of one's concept of time.

    Time as a measurable concept allows one to own and make decisions. If one understands the measurement of time, one can decide for oneself what to do with allotted time. Time is measured whether or not one is aware or actively measuring. The earth revolves, the sun rises and sets, living organisms reproduce and die. Even without numerical awareness, the events take place. With numerical awareness, conscious decisions can take place.

    On a personal level, I have experienced time both as an observer and active participant. I have observed years, days, and weeks pass by. I have observed the numbers on the clocks change, children growing older, and the physiological effects of the adults in my life aging. I have passively witnessed death and mourned the lives of those who are dear to me. As an observer, I learned that no one is immune to the effects of time.

   I have been both a willing and unwilling active participant of the measurement time. I have documented every birthday since my 15th year outside my mother's womb. I have counted down the time on the clock, computing the amount of hours before a dreadful task ends or an anticipated event begins. I have written down goals and tracked my progress. I have created schedules of my own and followed schedules created for me by others. In my active participation I have learned that as an individual, I have the power to choose what I do with and how I measure time.

    I have heard many wonderful quotes about time as it relates to the experience of time. I also have a few favorites. I could share them all here, but it would require me to search for them and in the process of searching, this too may become another unfinished post. Since I enjoy thinking and playing words, I will complete this post with a sumation of every quote or phrase I heard, seen, read, or thought of regarding the concept and measurement of time.

     Life is a summary of every experience, from the moment of conception to the moment one's last breath is exhaled. This universe is the only permanence we know and our existence in it is fleeting. For every beginning there is an end, and for every ending there was a beginning. Time is endless, for it lives on in memories.

May your time be well spent.

2 comments:

  1. I propose the measurement should be meaningful accomplishments ( vs. the easier busy work ).There's not enough time to do it all - prioritize. Gene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gene,
      Thank you for that advice. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

      Delete