Wednesday, November 2, 2022

On Authenticity

One thing I have struggled with in my public writing and expression, is being authentic. The word authentic comes from the Greek word authentikos, which means "principal, genuine" (Oxford Languages). To be authentic, is to be unique. That is not to say that I plagiarize my writing, but that I have trouble expressing my genuine self. 

When I write, I pride my self in being able to use words to conceal my emotions. I pride myself in my ability to hide behind metaphors, similes, and anaphoras. I swell with joy when I can write words that appear beautiful and mind blowing on the surface, with the illusion of containing emotional substance. For me, writing was akin to casting a spell. The more deceptive, the better.

I am usually filled with trepidation when my words strip me bare. When another can read my lines and literally read write through me. I am now finding that my audience is not in need of superfluous words. There are many books and articles full of them. I am realizing that if I want to make an impact with my writing, I need to be honest with my words.
 
To write authentically is to lay myself bare. It is to express my true thoughts, feelings, actions, and observations. It is to genuinely share my imagination with the world when writing fiction. It is to allow the world to see the world through my lenses. It is also being able to the world through the lenses of my audience and the individuals I write about.

I am beginning to see that writing for the public is an act of selflessness. If I want others to see me, I must allow them to. If I want to successfully share my work with others, I must allow myself to see them.
I am now committing to be authentic, vulnerable, and transparent with my writing.

I am complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment